Thursday, February 24, 2011

The hourglass is emptying ....

So, my life is like a Russian novel. Why? Because I am feeling much existential angst at the prospect of leaving one of Europe's most beautiful cities and I have nothing - no great art, no God, no great love - to inspire me. So oppressed by this newfound nihilism was I, I even popped into a church this afternoon, but only for about a minute and a half. (Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, either! Let's put it down to churches being pretty in Firenze and leave it at that! We all know I don't teach RE any more for a reason!)

Thanks Nietzsche. Thanks a whole bunch. (I don't know why it's his fault. I think I just wanted to see if I could still spell Nietzsche after ten years. I don't even know if I did - after 6 weeks of learning Italian, I can barely spell anything and am pretty certain I'm going to look like a complete cretin in many of my classes this year!)

Mamma Mia!

Tomorrow is officially my last day in Firenze. How has this happened? How have the last 6 weeks sailed by so quickly, and yet Pronome are still about 6 weeks more away from being learnt? Some would say 6 years. I JUST DON'T GET THEM!!!!! It's like talking to YODA!!!

Nasty little phlegm wads! Flemma; voglio ucchiderti. (I'd fully piss myself if that was correct, after all this heartache.)

But, I am pleased to say that I am fluent. Yeah, I just laughed out loud, too, in an internet cafe full of people! I am fluent minus about 60 verb conjugations and a complete understanding of Fare. But otherwise, sure - why not?! I believe my teacher's exact words were: as long as you don't get too frustrated or too angry, and concentrate on keeping it simple, you can say whatever you want.

Bless. At least, I think that's what he said - cos he said it in Italian!!! I'm going to pretend, anyway. :-)

I've had the best six weeks ever living in my bubble in Firenze, and I've spent the last week madly trying to finish everything I had to finish: places to visit, food to eat, and dear new friends to spend last few days with. (I will miss you guys heaps! xo) The food part has been excellent: last gelati at Vivoli (chocolate mousse gelati - you are God in disguise. And I am eating you.... Oh well - that's what you wanted, right? The metaphor works!) Last chianti and sangiovese (by the bottle, obviously); last melanzane parmagiana, fagiole con tonno ... first and last EVER trippa.

Sweet Jesus, why is this even a food? WHY??

Last night, after offending someone with my admission that I would eat horse, and snails - basically, I'd eat my own head before I ate tripe - I decided to bite the bullet. I'm here, it's Fiorentino. And there was always the chance it would be the most amazing thing that ever was invented.

I failed maths in year 9, but I remember something about odds in Probability. Well, I reckon the odds were against me on this one - it's the lining of a bloody cow's stomach and it was pretty much always going to taste like the most revolting thing that it's possible to put in your mouth. And I don't care where your mind goes with that. It was GROSS. Worst of all, with every mouthfull my mind was screaming: you're eating the intestines of a cow!!!!! Until at last, after a persistence that didn't pay off, after about five mouthfuls - and for about two hours afterwards - I was sure I was going to vomit!

Epic fail, trippa. Epic fail!!

But otherwise, my culinary experiences this week have been fabulous, and I am sure I have put on a good stack of weight and will therefore have something to do when I get home. I'm going to literally run my gelati-laden ass off! And never eat spaghetti again. Until April, at least. Or next week. Amen.

Anyway, I am full of ennui at leaving this beautiful city. Melbourne has the goods, but it aint no Rennaissance city! But I will probably go back to uni now and study Italian and the history of art (I know, right?!!) and then move here. In like April, or next week. Lol. I wish. First I have to pay off the credit card - OUCH! How did THAT happen?!

Farewell to Firenze, and next stop Lundra. And maybe only one or two more blog entries before I get home. Wow! But soon, I will finish my novel and then write one in Italian - just laughed out loud again - and be so rich and famous I really will be able to pop back to Firenze whenever I feel like it, and marry my existential sweetheart and lose my ennui. Oh hang on, that's Tolstoy ... I really haven't read enough Italian literature.... But I do have Pride and Prejudice in Italian and that's good enough. Italian Mr Darcy, come on down!!!

Anyway, must be off. Have to pack at least 50 kilos of luggage into a suitcase and make it seem like it's only 20 ... is that even possible? I'm not very good at physics, but that sounds like a long shot. I may have to actually pack 50 kilos worth of luggage.

Cavoli.

Dear credit card - a new present for you! Another suitcase, and about $500 in excess baggage. Grazie mille!

And the commonwealth bank says 'Prego'.

No comments:

Post a Comment