Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yay for sun, sangivonese and spaghetti Bol. Oh, and Venice!

A great weekend - two in a row (actually, about 8 in a row but who's counting?!)

This weekend saw me head up to Venice on the early train yesterday for some freezing fun. Whilst it was forecast to be 15 in Florence, I missed that - there is no way it could have been more than about 5 - and froze my little fingers off. But who can care when they're in Venice? It was as magical as I remembered - and as expensive!!! Jesus H! I took out all my money for the week and came back with nothing - and all I had to show for it was a vaporetto ride, a couple of panini and a handful of coffees.

A handful of coffees. Methinks I'm now addicted to espressos. I want one NOW!

It was beautiful, and I'll be boring the socks off everyone shortly with the photos - I must have photographed every little alleyway in Venice! I visited a few basilicas, the odd church - San Marcoàs, of course - and the Palace of the Doges, but beyond that I just spent hours wondering.

And getting very, VERY lost.

Dear Jesus: your maps of Venice are wrong. Yep. They are not to scale, they lie about where streets are, and I don't see how it is possible to get from one side of the grand canal to the other without crossing a bridge. And yet it happened. I swear, it did!!! I felt like I was having a seizure!

Maps of Venice are the devil, and eventually I lost it, and didn't really seem to fare any worse!! Eventuallt, you either end up at San Marco's, the Realto or the ocean - it took all bloody day of being lost, but eventually I buffered my way between these places, stopping here and there for a ten dollar coffee. And these awesome cookies that apprently used to be favourites of one of the Doges, but which is probably just an excuse to charge five dollars for a cookie.

It was worth it.

Today I met with my friends (who didn't join me in Venice due to outrageous fortune of it all) in Bologna - home of the Bolognese and tortellini that is now in my belly, along with most of the bottle of Sangiovense. Oh red wine, you really are delicious in Italy. But not in Australia. Amen. :-) Then we had gelati and strolled/tottered around the beautiful old city, pretending to speak Italian in slurred voices. Actually, I think when I'm drunk I really CAN speak Italian!!! Going to buy a bottle of tequila right now in time for class tomorrow!!

No. I will be good. I will go home and study right now. Right after I find a McDonalds!!!!! Hangover food is hangover food, no matter which side of the world you are on!!!

And tomorrow, I am going to wake up fluent anyway, because I am Rocky. Amen.

Ciao Il Miei Amici!!

No comments:

Post a Comment