Thursday, February 3, 2011

Caterina sucks and is not going to be biligual today

I've been a bit slack with this blog - one measly entry, and in Italian, in almost two weeks - but I've been so busy immersing myself (formal for fucking drowning) in lingua di Italiano, I barely have time to write or do anything else during the week - apart from those weekly beer drinking sessions at Salamancas, that is! And I will NOT be doing that again: when drunk, I reckon I can speak Italian as well as the next student; when I'm hung over, I have brain damage and can barely communicate in English, let alone Italian. And I can't stand the mortification. I'm STILL embarrassed about how shit I was yesterday. Note to universe: am I just wasting everyone's time?

I suck at Italian.

I feel this week like I am making absolutely no progress at all, which places me in a quandary: on the one hand, I really do love it here - it's Florence for God's sake! I have good friends, and when I don't look like a halfwit, I have a lot of fun. And I do not want to fail at this!!! So now I'm stuck between staying longer in Florence, and sticking out at what I started, or fleeing for dear life because I feel like any day now one of my teachers is going to smack my head in!!!

Second part of the quandry: I have to whole of Europe at my disposal and I don't want to be anywhere else. I love Florence!!! But I don't want to suck at Italian any more either!!! So, Jesus/Santa/tooth fairy/fairy godmother/Zeus: I need to wake up fluent really soon!!! Tomorrow would rock. Amen. If not fluent myself, can I please friggin understand what my teachers are saying? I feel like Italian is an organ transplant and my brain is rejecting it. I need some anti rejection medication stat!

On a brighter note, there is Gelati and I spent last weekend with my very old friend Kirsten and her husband, when I travelled to Germania. I haven't seen Kirsten in 10 years, and it was so awesome to catch up with her again. We went on a two day tourism spree, and I ate lots of sausage and German beer - so I was happy :-) They were fantastic hosts - it was like I'd seen Kirsten every week for the last decade.

Anyway, I am going to STUDY my ass off tonight. And tomorrow I will speak to hotel manager and actually make sense: I'm pretty sure is merely hiding a truckload of frustration behind a veneer of extreme handsomeness and congeniality. This makes me very sad :-(

I think I need some new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment