Monday, January 24, 2011

Pisa, Pizza and Piss ups!

So, a fabulous weekend after a fabulous week … and yet today began just like last Monday. With me feeling like a total and utter moron!! WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER THESE VERBS????? It is my own fault, I spent very little of my weekend – five minutes, as I sheepishly admitted – studying. Because the weekend was far too good for studying! I had exploring to do, I had eating to do, I had piss ups to go to … and I had Pisa!

This weekend, I took a road trip (more accurately, rail trip) to Pisa with some mates I've made at school, where we took in the leaning tower for about twenty minutes before spending about three hours eating ridiculous amounts of pizza and chianti. Yum! I am happy to report that the leaning tower is still leaning, and that by the end of the day I was leaning myself!!! And I really need to leave my fricking credit card at home if I am going to drink, because I have somehow ended up with a new pair of shoes and another jacket. I have no idea how I will get them home, either – I doubt I’ll have enough ON my card at this rate to pay the bloody excess baggage. I think I will have to buy my suitcase its own seat, it will be cheaper!!!

My new year’s resolution was not to shop in 2011. Epic fail. EPIC!!!! AHHHHHHH!

But I have done many other things this weekend, too. I was sorely admonished by IDB for not having seen anything of Florence in first week. Basically, I’m getting into trouble at school when I don’t study, and then getting into trouble when I do at the expense of the Uffizi gallery! So, Saturday I took in the artwork of the 4 turtles at the Uffizi, climbed the Duomo for stunning city views, and slogged my way up to the Piazzale Di Michelangeo (between the two giving myself a minor heart attack, I think) for even better views of the Duomo. And I did all this on the coldest freaking day they have had this year. (Other resolution to stop swearing).

FA FREDDO!!!!!! Jesu!

But it was stunning, and worth it to be up so high even with the gale force winds that made my fingers so cold I nearly dropped my camera right over the side of the duomo – 414 steps up! (Which is far. I don’t know how far, but it is!) And, given my mini heart attack and all the pizza that is quickly making its way to my arse, I have today joined the gym!! I am in Florence, working out AND studying. Is a very strange turn of events!!!!

The other exiciting thing that happened this weekend was that I got lost – that’s just par for the course, really and not the exciting part – but then I asked for directions IN Italian, and I got directions IN Italian and I followed them ... and I got there. Amen.

Who cares? You might ask. Well, you won't all be asking that. Those that know me well also know that I CAN’T EVEN DO THAT IN ENGLISH!!!! I get lost inside an empty room! Are you proud friends, or do you not believe me? Yeah, thought not. Well, it is all true!

Anyway, back to school today with my new jacket and my new shoes and my new sense of incompetence. Dear Italy: why so many verb conjugations? Why not consolidate a little, so fuckwits like me can keep it together?

I need to find another gypsy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment