Sunday, January 2, 2011

Splenour in Seville

First, the ironies of my travels:

Number one: That the Spanish chocolate fondant donut is actually the donut that doesnt have fondant inside. (Yes, I wept a little).

Number two: All the breakfast menus I have seen so far serve Valencia orange juice, when there are enough orange trees in the Seville plaza alone to fix scurvy all the way back to the fifteenth century. (I wonder how many tourists are killed each year by falling oranges? Must be hundreds).

Number three: I havent seen ONE barber. Not one. (Though I have heard the music from that Bugs Bunny cartoon on every bloody corner). Which is a shame because I would REALLY like to get my hair done!

Greetings and Happy New Year from Seville, where it is a sunny fifteen degrees (almost hot, really!) and, in a word, if I can only have one, simply breathtaking. As with many of Spainś cities, upon approach Seville didnt look like much at all. As with most Spanish cities, you have to get within a kilometre of the estacion for the magic to start. And I do not think I will ever find a place as magical as Seville. Photos to follow on FB, eventually.

I have spent two days just wondering. Even on New Yearś eve, as I waited for the big finale to the shittest year in the history of my life, I could not help but leave the plaza where I had set myself up for a drink, and wonder. There are just too many beautiful buildings. Itś almost criminal that most of mankind doesnt get to live here. I think itś even better than all my other favourite places in Europe!

Itś lucky I was so happy to wonder; over the New Yearś break, from about four oćlock on NYE, Seville simply shut down – and you couldnt to anything anyway! It was almost three oćlock before I ate on the first day of 2011; thatś how hard it was to find anyone selling food. And then, miraculously, as six oćlock loomed and the drinking hour, tapas bars aplenty threw their doors open, and I was saved from certain starvation.

Happy New Year Everyone! I apologise for the poor punctuation – I have to google the át' symbol – I have no knowledge of how to make apostrophes in particular work. Yay for foreign keyboards! And yay for foreign food! On my way to Granada shortly, which I have heard is amazing – bet it wont beat Seville!

p.s. This was written from Granada as I waited an hour for my taxi. As such, havent seen enough of Granada yet to say anything except that they should get more taxis. And obviously I lied about being in Seville when I wrote it - though everything is true and you will get over it. You have NO idea where I write your postcards from. lol. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment