Monday, January 10, 2011

BARCELONA!!!!

Hmm. How to start this blog post; how to put into words how excited I have been this past few days? Has it been the realisation of a stupid, yet very real dream? Have I reverted back, at some points, to being 14 years old - which it seems was a very pleasant age to be? Have I almost had to subscribe to Tena???

I think so!

I am in Barcelona, and in being here, I have fulfilled an eighteen year dream. To visit the Olympic village and pay hommage to my ancestors! lol. (I made such a fuss of the Olympics in 1992, you´d think they were my ancestors). They are not; I was just a stupid 14 year old with a dream. A dream to come to Barcelona and get caught up in the Olympic spirit. And here I am. After a thirteen hour train ride from Granada, I could barely open my eyes by the time we pulled in, but as soon as I saw that sign for Barcelona, I was wide awake and ready to roll. The Spirit was on!!

Of course, I couldn´t give a shit about the Olympics these days, but as a tribute to my younger self, the first place I went on day one was the Olympic museum which was also in the former stadium. And though it was completely devoid of any real Olympic memorabilia - even the rings - I felt like a teenager again! I felt like Christmas morning! I´ve literally not been so excited on this trip!!! There was barely anything to see, apart from a stadium and a replica of the torch tower. But it was a dream fulfilled. Those things are important!!

From there, since then, I have just walked. Apart from the obligatory hop-on/ho-off bus ride, of course. I´ve walked past Gaudi´s famous works; walked through the markets (where, once again I had the best tapas); walked past wankers pretending to be cops who´ve felt me up in a vain attempt to rob me (left everything in my hotel arseholes - I´m not stupid!); walked the gothic district, the contemporary district, Montjuic, and even part of the way up Monsserrat (not all 1000 steps though, it was getting dark!!!) It´s been such a great city to stroll around in, losing myself in beautiful little streets and gorgeous little boutiques - it´s fair to say that this is the city I have spent my money in, also!!! The shopping is phenomenal, and I´ve stocked up on some of Spain´s finest leather products :-) With the weather being closer to 20 degrees than zero, I´ve loved soaking up some sun with a glass of sangria, and then another glass of sangria (delicious!) before setting off to Barcelona´s next monument or famous Gaudi-an house. Spain, I take my hat off to you - every city has been better than the last. But this one was always going to be amazing. I´d set myself up for it 18 years ago, and I was never going to be disappointed, I think.

But now, on to San Sebastian, where I am sure I shall get great tapas and some more beach rays. It sure will have a tough act to follow, though.

Adios Barcelona - next time I decide I desperately want to come here, I will not wait 18 years!!

No comments:

Post a Comment