Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ten degrees is still cold. Amen.

So, I learned a precious lesson yesterday: that Spain, though Mediterranean, and ten degrees warmer than Paris, and sunny and without snow, it is also undeniably freaking cold! A blizzard to my bones, to be precise, and I will never make the near fatal (I am sure of it!) flaw of thinking to myself "Gee, sunshine. And itś ten degrees. I might leave my coat at home today and go and sit on an open top bus and freeze my bloody arse off!"

Seriously, by the time I stopped being stubborn and realised enough was enough, the muscles in my legs and lower back were in spasms because I had been clenching them so hard, and I could barely walk! Freezing to death must be agonizing, but I am sure it has done wonders for my butt itself, as I can still feel the muscles burning - like I·ve run ten ks!

But here I am. I have realised my life long dream to come to Spain. Yay! Since 1992 and the Barcelona Olympics, I have wanted to get here (ok - Barcelona to be precise, but though I am very bad at geography I know I am now closer than I was a week ago!) It is kind of funny, therefore, to see banners all over the place for World Youth Day Madrid, for I feel that I would rather be anywhere else than here when that time arrives!! I would rather stick a fork in my eye!

But to be here now is very exciting. Itś a beautiful old city, and when I can finally upload some photos (having a little trouble with more technology, it would seem!) there will be quite a few of just buildings this time - and some more self portaits, cos theyŕe so brilliant! - but the architecture is just stunning. I have spent very little time indoors as the outdoors seems to be the best part of Madrid. But I do have one teeny tiny criticism: why in Godś name is it so crowded??? I would hate to see the high season - this place is literally bulging at the seams. Sometimes I turn to go down a street, and when I see the throng of people cramming that street, moving in a wave towards me, I just turn around and go back. Itś madness! And the queues! So many people queuing, and I cannot even make out what they are queuing for, half the time - all I know is that there are five hundred people clogging the footpath for a block and a half! It is so strange to come from Paris, which almost felt empty by comparison (the buses certainly were) to not even being able to get ON a bus because they are full!

As with everywhere, I have had a lot of fun eating in this city, my favourite place has been a market called Mercardo San Miguel - a degustation market in which the stallkeepers of fruit and veg, fish and cheese and breads (mostly) also stock wine and tapas! I do not know if any one even goes there for the produce, but the wine and tapas are amazing. And they have good cupcakes too! And I will never go to another Starbucks as long as I live after a Spanish woman yesterday accused me of being American because I had a Starbucks coffee in my hand - and would not believe me when I told her otherwise. To the extent that she started banging on about her favourite parts of America - Boston - and if I had ever been to Syracuse, because her neice lives there. So Starbucks makes you American, apparently.

Itś shit coffee anyway, and I should be ashamed. I was desperate, I swear!

Anway, after trying in vain to get tickets to "Los Miserables" - which would be SO COOL in Spanish! - I am out of Madrid and heading to the historical centre of Toledo. And more tapas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment