Friday, December 24, 2010

I went to gay Paree ...

So, a few things about me you need to know:
My desert island foods (the three foods you are allowed to take with you, in unlimited supply, if you are hypothetically ever trapped on a desert island) are:
1. Bread
2. Cheese
3. Chocolate
It's a no brainer - and it's been this way ever since I discovered a love for carbs, soft goey mould covered cheeses and chocolate (that one was inutero, I reckon). What IS exciting is that Paris is best known for these three foods, in some context, and I haven't stopped eating crusty baguettes, gorgeous bries or chocolate (in crossants, macaroons, crepes - if they make it, I will eat it) since I arrived in Paris yesterday.

Paris is my hypothetical desert island. I lucked out!

Because, in a way, you see, I am kind of marooned:
1. It's snowing like a bitch (was cute at first, now it's a blizzard. Sort of.)
2. I don't have any money, just like I wouldn't if I were trapped on a real desert island
3. The airport taxi made me remortgage my house to get here, so I'm homeless AND can't afford to leave because I can't get back to the airport. Stranded.

But what a place to be stuck in! (Ok, I'm not really stuck and most desert islands are about 40 degrees hotter; my metaphor is coming undone but you can get lost. I've been thinking about this all day!!!) If I can pick any place in the world to have bread cheese and chocolate in for the rest of my life, I pick this place!

I arrived yesterday afternoon after a hellish whole day of airport dramas that proved to me beyond all doubt that Qatar is going to be in a world of trouble in 2022 (and yes, I know that's a long time in the future, but that's just how bad their airport is run). I should have arrived around lunch, and was here just in time for dinner, but the magic of the cold and the snow and the Christmas lights in the world's most beautiful city - I'm putting it on the table - simply took my breath away.

I lost my breath this morning too, when the chill in the air turned my lungs to granitas! Oh my God! I lived in the UK for 2 winters, but it never snowed all day. But when a city is as gorgeous as this one, even after paying 30 euro for a tour of the city, on what I assumed would be a warm, cosy bus, I just wanted to be out there walking the pavement. So that's what I did today; slid through piles of slushy snow from left bank to right bank and back again - in around Paris' most famous landmarks - only stopping for more of the three food staples. I just hope I'm walking enough not to come back a Michelan man - and I mean once I've removed the coat, hat, scarve and four layers of clothing (which makes me very Michelan mannish!)I'm due to leave Paris the day after tomorrow, but I just don't think I can. There's still so much to see: Musee Rodin, Musee d'orsay, Versailles. There aren't enough daylight hours to see it all!!!

So, I may be hitting the road again in two days, and I may not. I guess this is my desert island and I can do whatever I like! (Cheap, corny finish!) What I do know is that tonight, I'm having bread, cheese and chocolate in the form of, well, bread, fondue and delicious crepes. My Christmas eve treat in the centre of the Latin Quarter. Merry Christmas Eve everyone!!

1 comment: