Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snow is still cold in the desert!

What a great day! I got up early to have my coffee before taxiing off to the Jumeirah Mosque – the only one in UAE that allows non-Islamic people to enter it – for a tour, organised through the local centre for cultural sharing and understanding. After an interesting hour in which I had to cover up from head to toe (quite literally – great pics!), I headed back down the road (making sure it wasn't too far or in the wrong direction) to scope out the traditional restaurants along the Aldi Alfi (sic – absolutely no idea what I'm spelling!) to see where I could get camel for dinner. It's on the menu for tonight and I'm very excited – by the by, tomorrow I get to ride one!

Looking at the map and too-ing and fro-ing about whether I could walk to the mall of the Emirates (no, I never learn – let's call it tenacity!), I hailed a taxi and thank GOD I did. Too far?!!! It was about 20 bloody ks!! My mission at the mall? Not to shop – initially - but to ski!

It's a weird thing, skiing in the desert. Even when you look at it, it's hard to imagine that it could possibly be that cold; it's in the desert! I suppose I'm just dumb, because I scoffed when they suggested I buy gloves and a hat, and I scoffed when they suggested I needed more than just a t-shirt under the rather thin snow suit they provided. And I froze my bloody arse off! Actually, to be precise I froze my little fingers off. But was it fun? Yes! And I made some little friends – some children from Saudi Arabia who thought it was pretty cool to talk to some weird, freezing chick from Australia who skiied worse than they did! They made sure they were on every single chairlift I went on, and I learned a lot about the lack of snow in Saudi Arabia!!! (They go to Switzerland every year. Oil. Yeah. Couldn't have been fifteen years older, could you!)

Eventually, I'd had enough of the onset of frostbite in my extremities, and re-entered the mall for some more of what I do best: a new winter coat, a pretty dress and a scarf in the most perfect shade of green. It is lucky I am leaving here in day and a half – I am actually quite surprised Westpac hasn't pulled the plug already ;-). And I have no idea yet where I'm going to pack my new additions in a suitcase that was already bulging at the seams. Side note: girls – you know who I'm talking to – we should have another group holiday. Boys can play golf, and we can shop like nothing you've ever seen, I swear to God. And Jo, you can eat at a restaurant called the Jollibee – pictures to come when I can upload them. There is something for everyone!!!

So, tonight I go to eat camel, and tomorrow I will ride one before going 'dune-bashing' in a 4 wheel drive. I don't generally like tours, but everyone says this is a must – and I have to do something to keep me away from the shops!!! It's been a really good day today; this city is awesome and I think everyone should come here! And I will come too!!!

Oh – last thing. I had my first marriage proposal last night. It was oh-so romantic: a car literally pulled up beside me, the window rolled down, a hand was proffered and we exchanged the usual (or unusual!) small talk – where are you from, what's you name ... would you marry me. It was a very nice car, but I had to decline. His hands were too sweaty and it seemed unlikely he was an oil baron or a Sheik.

Besides which, I don't think I need a green card marriage to move to Dubai :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment