Monday, October 10, 2011

A terrifying idea, and a turtle ...

Last night I wrote a children's story.

Don't get me wrong - there are NO pictures involved, except for the ones in my head, because I am honest enough to accept my failings as an Archibald prize winning artist:

This is my portrait!




So you can imagine, I don't really want to sully the reputation of my writing skills with any attempts to draw turtles throwing tantrums, and grasshoppers who like spaghetti. But it's a children's story nonetheless. The first I've ever written.

And, like Phoebe Grasshopper found about things she'd never tried before: it was so much fun!!

I spent 5 hours drafting and re-drafting a story that's not even one thousand words long. I'm obsessed with my little tale about about an ignorant and prejudical turtle who won't accept others the way they are.

Remind you of anything? The last entry into my blog might give you a clue! But I don't want to spoil my story with politics - children should not be spoiled by politics! It's at the heart a really special story that's actually helped me look at some things from a new perspective. Temperamental turtles need not ruin my life!!

Now, how to market a picture story book to a publisher when my best efforts at drawing a turtle look like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment