Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Time to Compete!

Now that I’ve got my writing mojo back, I have decided it’s time to embrace the world of writing competitions. Apparently, should I ever actually finish what I start (ie. one of the two novels I currently have on the go), it looks much better to have actually shown some writing success in the past.


The fact that I wrote an award winning story about two hats who were separated from their milliner’s shop and had to face a life of heartache without each other – they were deeply in love, you see – in the Mitchell shire writing competition probably doesn’t count.


I was nine.


Besides which, hats who are in love is just stupid. But it’s interesting to see how cynical I was about relationships even then!! (Note – I wasn’t really. They eventually found each other on the heads of two geriatrics in a nursing home, and were able to live side by side until their owner’s deaths. Which I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually write, but I’m far more morbid now and have read a lot of Shakespeare in the two decades since my triumph. In the unwritten sequel, they definitely ended up in two separate op-shops far, far away from each other. Or incinerated in separate cremations, a-la Romeo and Juliet!)


Anyhow, writing success is important on a cover letter. Because when you send in a manuscript, you have to have a cover-letter that sells your previous achievements. And my previous achievements are that I have completed a couple of degrees, made money from selling stories to magazines – admittedly, quite a lot of money, but I don’t think quantity of crap cancels out the fact that it is, indeed, crap, and not quite managed to finish anything that I’ve started. I'm sure it doesn't actually look awesome that I wrote 50,000 words of crap that I never did anything with. I never do anything with anything!


(Here is my updated picture of a grasshopper, just so you get my point: yesterday’s triumph is also yesterday’s news!)






Oh Dear Lord!

(However, I am having a lot of fun with the pain application on my computer, and think this could be a super-fun addition to my semi-regular blogging!)

Now, competitions ... what on earth can I write about? MOJO? Where are you???

1 comment:

  1. Obviously I meant "Paint" but I am not going to change it, because pain and computer is quite semi-Freudian!!

    ReplyDelete