Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Life in costume!

Today the students came, for their last day, in costume. There was a little more to it than that, but this blog is about me, not them. It is possibly my favourite day of the year, and today I felt myself getting a little bit teary and I couldn't quite figure out why.

Then it hit me: how badly I would like to be in costume myself! Though some have suggested, harshly, that I should never wear hats (a point I believe I successfully myth-busted in Italy with my stunning array of beanies, berets and stunning stunning cappello!) I know I can pull off a bonnet like nobody's business!

I never did get to wear a dress with puffy sleeves – not that I’m dead yet, but the usual events where such a dress might be acceptable have either happened and not produced said sleeves, or have not happened. And may not.

(And let’s be honest. I have too many copies of vogue under my bed to actually wear them at my wedding. Hello!!!! I don’t pretend to be a fashionista, but I’m also not completely insane. Amen.)

However, this is me in my bonnet and period dress.


Note the puffy sleeves. They don’t really go with the pink bonnet, I admit, but the shoes and hat match and that’s what’s important.

I told you; I read Vogue.

As I was drawing this, I really got into the spirit of what my life would be like if I could indeed wear puffy sleeves every day, without being punched in the face for my impertinence. (I’ve already put my shoulder out this week; don’t want to do it again attempting to punch my own head in).

1. I would marry someone really rich, with a top hat and a pair of hunting dogs. I’m generally against hunting, but in my puffy-sleeved dress my opinions don’t matter as I am only a woman.

2. I would eventually become a suffragette and kill said hunting dogs. I don’t really like dogs either, to be honest. I might kill my husband too.

3. With my new found wealth (massive, massive life insurance plan) I would move out of the archaic, drafty family home of a thousand generations into something much more modern. I really like those colourbond roofs. And yes, I know it is Regency England, but I’ve just become a suffragette, killed my husband and his dogs and become an overnight bazillionaire; I think colourbond will happen, alright?

4. I want a house with a tower.

This is my house. If I can’t move to Italy or have puffy sleeves, can I pretty please have one of these? It also has window boxes with tulips in them!


Now, what would my theme music be? No Spice Girls please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment