Wednesday, June 23, 2010

So Long, Farewell

When something happens in the media, or in life, that stirs my emotions - towards sadness or anger, generally - I often feel the need to write it down. Many letters have begun this way; letters that never get delivered, sometimes short, sometimes spanning pages. They rarely get published, they sometimes warrant responses from government ministers, but they do achieve the goal of making things known. Even if it's just to myself. Stream of consciousness 101!

(Interesting side-note: why are all introductory university courses always course 101 - it's very Orwellian, and not at all confidence inspiring!)

Anway, I have taken a break from writing curriculum and lists and stories and messages to write down my tribute to Kevin Rudd who, though he may deserve to go, does not (I think) completely deserve our disrespect:

It’s an interesting feeling to feel saddened by this turn of events that sees our first female prime-minister, which is brilliant, but also the unceremonious end to the legacy of Kevin Rudd. The opinion polls have spoken, but it was disappointing to be reminded too late of all the good things he has done for our country – things that don’t often count at the ballot box. Kevin, your dissolution of the Pacific Solution and your apology to the stolen generation made me proud again to be an Australian. You brought humanity back to parliament for a just a little while, and for that I thank you.

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment