Thursday, June 17, 2010

The coffee club plan

So. I’ve decided the only way I’m going to win the Pulitzer – my back up plan if the Nobel Prize fails – is if I set aside a regular time to write something. (Ok - I know it's not rocket science but I'm pretty much Guiness Book Procrastinator material, so this is a big step!) And I’m talking seriously quality time: just me, my pen/laptop and a cup of java. (But I will not be thanking Starbucks in my acceptance speech – it’s just because they have a lot of students who are also seemingly chronic procrastinators, so I feel the bonds of solidarity might push me along!)

Maybe I should do my PhD. It would seem I really need to be forced to write!

So, Wendesday night will be writing night. Not shopping night. Not performance night. Not Hey-wanna-go-out-for-coffee-so-I-don’t-have-to–go-out-and-feel-the-weight-of-not-having-won-a-major-literary-prize-yet.

My original goal, when I was younger, was to have achieved everything in life by the time I was 32. Epic fail! I have a few months left, however!

And I know what you’re probably thinking: I don’t even sound like I like writing. I do!! I have two degrees in it – and I think that could possibly be the issue. Somewhere along the line, writing became more like hard work than something I did for fun. Forced to study genres I hated, teachers who didn't understand my style, teachers who I thought couldn't write for cupcakes. Now it’s only fun when I get into the swing of it – a hard swing away when Doncaster shoppo has sales, and Wittner has some ultra fucking cool pink shoes.

Want!

And I’ve become pretty social in my old age. Really should have written this thing when I was younger, and more of a hermit. Sort of. How do real writers – published authors of authentically brilliant prose – do it, I ask you?! A few hours on my own, and I’m literally climbing the walls for company.

Ok, so that could also be the four cups of soy latte!

So, next Wednesday it is … who’s up for a cup of coffee? I’ll be at a Starbucks near you!!!

2 comments: