Monday, December 5, 2016

Teeth

Teeth
The severity of kindness is a myth
Use your teeth
But not to tear the hopeful heart from prostrate ribs,
I want to see the enamel before it bites me.
So, what bit you?
Before you turned to grace the stage, what
Made you turn,
To learn how
to discard the red cape - to
sharpen your fangs on the Hunter’s knife?
I thought it was me? No, surely not!
You went away; you passed the audition
While I waited nervous as a fox.
About to get snapped up in steel
I wanted to peel you
from my bones.
(Once, you wore my pelt around your neck – but only when
The weather suited
Now you disputed
The legitimacy of my skin; the quality; my worth.)
I raised my white flag but to a scientologist:
I didn’t belong
It all went so wrong.
Can I get your autograph, Hollywood movie star?
The ink won’t dry but I’ll try not to smudge it
Or is that how I fudged it?
All those years, should I just
have let it run?
See what lines formed on the page and
Joined you on stage?
I thought that only if you’d smile;
Would I relax the bile.
The severity of kindness is a myth

See my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment