Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rumplestiltskin?

It may well be that my Pulitzer prize winning novel is now going to win the Australian Book of the Year for young adult fiction, for I have decided to re-work an old manuscript that I once loved, but which never got published.

And, upon reflection after casting it aside for 5 years, I can see why. It’s shit.

To be honest, I can’t even remember what I age I would have written for – the language is older and yet the main character is clearly pitched at twelve year olds. Twelve year old losers, even. She’s a whiny pain the neck and I want to smack her. I wrote her a hot older boyfriend and she didn’t even want him, for God’s sake – and I can’t even tell why!!!

The beauty is that I’ve already written fifty thousand words and, although a lot of it falls into my own assessment of “crap” I think it only fair that I be allowed to acknowledge some of it as good, also. The plot itself is ok. It just maybe needs to not be set in a seaside village (what was I thinking!) that is also, quite remarkably, near the bush, and has a perfectly sized rural township too. Talk about covering all bases!

And I’m going to make it darker! The main character is a witch and yet, she’s even worse than the Worst Witch! She needs to be Hermione meets The Changeover. And an actual distinguishable power might help too!

So suddenly, I am further along in my quest for glory than I thought I was. Sort of. Now I have to figure out how to spin straw into gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment