Monday, May 24, 2010

Where's the love in writing?

Not too good at this blogging thing …

In writing this blog, facebooking like a maniac, and writing rubbish stories for publications that are even more rubbish (they are; my pieces of gold usually get “dumbed” down to suit the demographic!) I have discovered (and in only a few short weeks, too) two things:

1. My ability to believe that I can indeed get away with writing extremely long sentences as long as I use all the punctuation marks from commas through to semi-colons – and for it still to sound awesome!
2. My need for immediate gratification!

*Please, please, please post a comment to my blog, status etc! I am a writer and I want to be loved!*

Herein lies my quandary, perhaps: back when I was a wee lass of between 14 and 22, I used to be able to churn out stories at an incredible rate – sometimes up to forty-thousand words in length in a few short weeks! And yes, whilst I often made my friends and family a cast of serial killers, rape victims, drug smugglers and extremely-wealthy-and-successful-beautiful-journalist-types-who-get-married-to-cricket-players-with-South-African-accents (ok – that was me!) – yes Mills and Boon for my nearest and dearest – they were so much fun to write!

Could it be that I can only write when I know I will be receiving quick and positive gratification/validation for my efforts? Even on the website that shall remain nameless where I post my junk stories, people write the nastiest criticisms – but they are sooo much fun to read, revealing the stupidity of people who read the junk stories posted on such websites!!

Next status update:

Katmol needs gratification, affection, and gifts of cupcakes to be productive.

Now comment, damnit!

2 comments:

  1. I forget to read... I don't check my google reader because I am always on twitter or facebook. How about you link your blog to one or both of these in order to get more/new readers?

    I know that you can link notes and blogger - post links on your facebook wall when you write new posts... people will read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds a bit complicated!!! Don't forget I'm like the Amiga 500 of technology - hopelessly inadequate to process all the new fantangled stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete